We Need Your Help!
We thank all of you who have already given so much in support of our work protecting this area that we all love. Among our many programs, for the past twelve years, Goose Creek Association has been monitoring Goose Creek and its tributaries using the protocol that is acceptable to the state and other environmental organizations. This summer we published our first “Report Card” where we concluded that the Goose Creek is “pretty clean,” but stressed by development and agricultural waste. Included with this appeal for support is a copy of that report along with a list of our donors for 2014 as of October 31.
Currently, our expenses are running ahead of budget, not because we have lavish offices, a large staff or high marketing expenses. Rather, our expenses are low, but contributions are lower than the previous year.
We need to feel your love so that we can continue by:
- Planting riparian buffers with the assistance of students and volunteers
- Monitoring over a dozen sites in the Goose Creek watershed
- Conducting a public information meeting in Upperville with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Piedmont Environmental Council to inform the local community about storm water discharge and sewage treatment at the Mt. Weather FEMA facility
- Cleaning up a stretch of the Goose Creek along Foxcroft Road
- Obtaining legislative support for maintaining our rural historic roadways
- Hosting the annual spring Members’ Award Party held this year at “Speedwell” in Loudoun County to honor and celebrate the Goose Creek Watershed
- Planning more historic districts in Loudoun County, similar to Fauquier County
- Commenting on the placement and style of cell towers
- Encouraging VA Dominion to bury the power lines near the Goose Creek Bridge
- Holding and participating in community educational forums, including the showing of “Switch,” a documentary about energy sources and alternatives
We are the voice of over 600 members in Loudoun and Fauquier Counties and we always welcome more volunteers and active Board members.
Thank you for your support.